Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Jump - Back to Basics

People stop me in the street and ask, "What's happened to you , man. You used to be funny." This has given me pause for thought (first off, because I don't know these people) and as I look back on all the reasons I started this blog (self-promotion, self-aggrandizement, self-service) I realize that I have indeed strayed from the path of funny. And I'll tell you the reason why (not an excuse mind you, but a reason). The reason is that when your film is being sent out there to the screens of the nation (as many as 30 in total) a filmmaker starts to get to feeling the twin rushes of excitement and dread. The excitement part is the thrill of having your creation seen by thousands of people but the backdraft of dread is that your creation is going to be seen by thousands of people, some of whom are not as polite or kind or supportive as your mother or your girlfriend. So it feels like the rush before the bungy jump - but in this case I have no idea if the rope is actually secured to anything. So maybe I've lost a little prespective but who can blame me. However, I'm putting this pressure behind me. I am going to enjoy the ride whether I am snapped away, at the last seconds, from almost certain death by the elastic cord of mass approval or mashed, face first into the ground at one hundred miles an hour. Bring on the funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger queen of the slipstream said...

first of all I would like to ask if you feel comfy about me commenting on your blog ..

it's very interesting to read how a director feels about his work and how it develops , the anxiety of what may come .. it could be the step to bigger projects or it could be the hold of receiving invites ..

I hope it will open frontiers for you , give you confidence about your gift and the cord be strong enough to last for years.

7:36 p.m.  
Blogger Red Devil said...

Your comments are welcome - glad to get some international feedback.

6:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home