Friday, February 03, 2006

Anatomy of a Festival - Indiefest

These Girls had it US premiere last night at San Francisco Indiefest in the historic Castro theatre. Before the show an amazing old Wurlitzer organ rises out of the stage and campy showbiz tunes fill the air - it is like getting the fans going before a hockey game. The screening was great and we shared a lot of laughs - those wacky girls! After the question and answer a man came up to me and asked me if my real name was William Hazlett? I immediatly thought "Shit it's La Migra!" Turns out I had dropped my wallet somewhere and it was turned in. Thanks Indiefest patrons for being so upright. I blame new and unfamiliar pants.

Just when fortune seems to be shining on me I get to the opening party to discover that it started when my film was screening and the Indiefest patrons, whom I was just getting to like, had finished off all the free sponsor booze. It was as if alcoholic locusts had descended on the joint and licked it clean. There was a cash bar that had a few beers left but that was cold comfort indeed.

I Finally had enough beer to shake off the cash bar blues and had a nice chat with these ladies from Skratch Magazine. Although it does look like I'm just being creepy and listening in - really they did talk to me, really.

Then I had enough beer to start thinking that I could be funny when 'posing' for this photo with Indiefest programmer Bruce Fletcher.








Tempted by the devil herself - boy did I tell her off.


3 Comments:

Blogger Edgeoforever said...

The trailer and the reviews gave me enough confidence to send the following letter to Roger Ebert:

Dear Mr Ebert

I know that you dedicate your energy to promote worthy indies so, here's one worthy of your attention
http://www.thesegirlsthemovie.com/
(there is an active trailer link)
It has been already selected by a number of film festivals
http://www.pjo.ca/thesegirls/
and opened to good reviews in Canada.
It's scheduled for a May 16 release in US - but whether this will be theatrical it's an open question.
You may be able to get in touch with the director - for a screening?- at his blog
http://thesegirlsblog.blogspot.com/
I am writing this simply as a movie lover - and fan of David Boreanaz (currently starring in Bones, Wednesdays on Fox).
I am a retired attorney living in NYC and stand to gain nothing from this but the chance to watch a good movie.

10:41 a.m.  
Blogger Red Devil said...

Boris. Thanks for the grass roots support. I think we would be more than happy to arrange a screening for Mr. Ebert.

4:53 p.m.  
Blogger Edgeoforever said...

You are very welcome - your movie looks like a real treat and I'd love to see it in a theater!

3:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home